The Everyone Legal Clinic is a BC-wide and first-of-its-kind public interest law incubator launching in May 2022. The Clinic will engage and foster a diverse first group of 25 articling students and 5 new notaries in offering a full range of free and affordable legal services to everyone in BC—wherever they're located.
"Services for everyone, justice for all"
The Everyone Legal Clinic is now accepting articling applications for its second 2022/23 session that starts in September 2022.
Scholarships and bursaries will be available to ELC articling students in financial need during the learning semester.
Read ELC's Call for Articling Applications
In May 2022, the Clinic will launch as an experiential learning centre for articling students and new notaries, and as a solo and small firm incubator for practitioners who then provide affordable legal services to underserved communities across BC.
In its first year, the Clinic will engage dozens of professional mentors, and employ five supervising lawyers and one administrator to remotely train, supervise and support 25 articling students and five new notaries over two six-month semesters.
The Clinic aims to:
- Increase access to affordable and high quality legal services in communities throughout BC;
- Increase professional capacity for public interest legal service throughout BC, particularly in underserved communities;
- Provide a new generation of BC legal service providers with the substantive knowledge and practical skills (including practice management, cultural competency and human relationship skills) required to thrive in highly adaptive forms of public-minded legal practice;
- Improve equity, diversity, working conditions and quality of education in BC’s lawyer and notary training systems, and reduce unmet need for articling positions in BC;
- Promote new virtual, fixed fee and modular forms of legal practice.